Create a List of Companies
To get information on a lot of companies, you likely need to make a company list. You can make lists of the top players in an industry, to get diversity data for S&P 500 executives, or to get a target list for your job search.
How to Create Lists
Creating lists typically involves two steps:
- Create the screen - Apply the search filters you want to create the base list.
- Ex: Only public companies based in the US in entertainment industries.
- Choose data points - Pick the variables or information you want for each company on the list.
- Ex: Current CEO's gender, market cap, headquarters state, etc.
Tip: Some variables are only available as data points after you've made the list. If that happens, add that data point to the report or columns to further refine your list.
You can create company lists in many resources, these are just the most commonly used. See more options on the Company Information Research Guide or Ask Us for personal suggestions
- D&B Hoovers - easiest to use, good for commonly used data points. Go to the Build a Company List box.
- Capital IQ (GSB only) - many advanced search options. Go to the Screening tab > Companies.
- Eikon - many advanced search options. Open the Screener application and change the Universe as needed.
If you're doing a project where you need thousands of company records and/or need historical, point-in-time data, use these resources.