Download Earnings Estimates Data from I/B/E/S
I/B/E/S provides historical earnings estimates from analysts for both U.S. and international companies. It also includes buy-hold-sell recommendations. There is also an I/B/E/S Guidance dataset that includes management's predictions about their own company's earnings.
Contact us to discuss your research in more detail.
Step 1. Navigate to the I/B/E/S Web Query Form
- Use the I/B/E/S (in WRDS) link on the library's website. (See WRDS Access help.)
- Under Subscriptions select IBES.
- Under I/B/E/S Academic select Summary History > Summary Statistics.
Step 2. Fill Out the Web Query Form
- Step 1: Enter the date range.
- Step 2: Enter company codes, upload a .txt file, or search the entire database (see detailed instructions).
- If you want the analyst estimates for the following quarter, in the Forecast Period Indicator (FPI) box, unselect Fiscal Year 1 (1) and select Quarter 1 (6).
- Step 3: Select the variables to include in the download. We suggest selecting the following to start:
- Official Ticker
- I/B/E/S Ticker
- CUSIP (8-Digit)
- Company Name
- Forecast Period End Date (the date at the end of the period the estimates are being provided for)
- IBES Statistical Period (the date the analysts were surveyed for this data, typically once a month)
- Number of Estimates
- Median Estimate
- Mean Estimate
- Actual Value, from the Detail Actuals File
- Announce Date of the Actual, from the Detail Actuals File (the date the actual values were announced)
- Step 4: Choose a query output (e.g. Excel spreadsheet (*.xlsx)).
- Press Submit Query. When the download is completed click on the link to open the file.
Step 3. Understand the Output
Because analysts are often surveyed once a month, there can be multiples estimates for the same period. Most researchers we work with use the estimates made at the date closest to when the actual values were announced.