Bankruptcy Data Sources
Companies that have filed for Bankruptcy
The following can be used to generate lists of companies that have filed for bankruptcy. The level of details about the bankruptcy vary by source.
- Audit Analytics (in WRDS)
- Contains hundreds of variables from the bankruptcy filing. It covers US Chapter's 7, 11, and 15 from 2000-1 month ago for SEC registrants. Can easily link to Compustat and CRSP.
- Under Subscriptions select Audit Analytics. Under Corporate and Legal select Bankruptcy Notification. See instructions for using the Web Query Form to download data.
- Capital IQ (GSB only)
- Screen for companies that have filed for bankruptcy.
- In the top navigation bar, hover over Screening > Companies.
- Use the links in the Bankruptcy Details box (lower right) to screen for specific variables (Type of bankruptcy, Date of filing, etc.).
- Add to search criteria and press View Results.
- SDC Platinum
- Covers Chapter 11 filings in the U.S.
- When in SDC, go to Corporate Restructuring > Full Detail Bankruptcies (1988-present).
- See SDC Platinum download instructions.
U.S. Bankruptcy Statistics & Data
These sources provide bankruptcy statistics for businesses and non-businesses by Chapter (7, 11, 12, 13).
- Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
- Quarterly data (and data for the single months of January, April, July, and October) is available at the circuit and district level. Annual data is available at the state, circuit, district, and county level.
- Time-series data can be downloaded from DataPlanet Statistical Datasets. In the left navigation go to Browse by Source > Administrative Office of the US Courts.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Includes a variety of bankruptcy statistics, most at the national level.
- Census Bureau Business Dynamics Statistics
- Summary or aggregate data on the variables including the number of business exits and rate of exits nationwide, by state, and by sector.